Saturday, August 17, 2013

Rest is Important

I train five days a week. Last week, it was six. Every morning starting about 051x to 0630+ (incl. warmup/stretching). Then, MWF I attend class in the evening and train and learn some more.

Rest is important. Today is Saturday, and I realize that I've been training hard for six days. I still awoke at about 051x, and wanted to train, but realized that I should rest. Give my body a chance to heal and grow.

The martial body and warrior's mind are unified: and when I train my body I am indeed training my mind. Last night in class, my presence slipped for a moment and when Sifu directed us to change stances, I stayed in mine for a few moments too long. That lapse in presence could be expensive in another situation.

So today I trained my mind by engaging in some mindful meditation instead. 
Tomorrow, the same. 
Every week, the same. 
Let me not forget that one of my objectives in studying martial arts is to cultivate my spirit. Meditation is a complementary path to that end.

61° Clear
Boulder, Colorado, United States

No comments:

Post a Comment